Thursday, November 19, 2009

Putting it All Together


As this semester progressed, I had no idea what my Writing for Public Interest class would bring. I am glad to say that I learned a great deal by taking the course, and I also felt that I was able to have a chance to show my creativity with each and every one of my stories. I was never really good at writing news-type stories, but once I took this, I learned a general idea of the structure of how the stories should be done. I even had to sign up for a great deal of things such as Blogger, Flickr, Twitter (which I already had since the summer), and an online chat in which our entire class participated in.

For the most part, it took a great deal of ideas in order for me to keep the stories interesting and flowing together every time I wrote one. I also wanted to bring in the emotional appeal of the stories as well as educate my audience for a better understanding of our climate which varies every day. The wording also had to make a lot of sense because if I was to throw a term out there that no one knew, it would confuse several people.

In order to put these blogs together, I had to get used to the idea of even using one for the class. While sometimes technology was a pain and very strenuous to use, it was definitely worth learning it to educate students to expand their horizons and learn to use different ways of communication and showing off their finished products in terms of stories. I made several attempts to chat with professional meteorologists on the local and national level, but due to their busy work schedules, they were unable to get back with me on my stories. However, I was able to speak with real-life storm spotters and storm chasers who work alongside the National Weather Service for a great deal of information and their experiences with severe weather.

If I was to do the media package a different way, I probably would get a head start on most of my stories. I had a time trying to get a hold of reliable sources for each and every one. Also, I would've probably joined these blog websites a lot sooner than this semester so that I would have some exposure on how to use it. I would also have a larger variety of photos to use being that I am a photographer in my spare time. I could even try expanding my topic from more of an informative standpoint rather than just from aspects of experiences and then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment