Friday, June 3, 2011

Chapter 2: Graduate School and Work Changes


Once again, I have delayed writing in my lovely blog since I am super tied up with work and then some. While I am in much better spirits than I was when I wrote that last one, I am happy to report some amazing news. After months of waiting patiently and constantly checking my e-mail constantly, I am proud to say that I am now a member of the Mississippi State University graduate program!! That's right...I WILL be working on my master's in Applied Meteorology! I almost cried when I received that e-mail that I had been accepted. I am so blessed and privileged to have things going the right way by never giving up and a LOT of prayer and faith. I am due to start very soon for the summer semester, but of course, it takes a while for some schools to get their information out in a timely fashion. Due to my bachelor's degree concentration, I have to take a couple of hours of undergraduate classes before the heavy duty stuff which is completely fine by me! Anything that will get me started and where I need to be so I can move forward in my career as an on-camera meteorologist is a huge help!

On May 25, I turned 25 and celebrated with my family and friends. Even though I had to spend the day of at my desk, it was a really good birthday. There's really no change since I've become 25, but what I can say is that I'm glad to look more and more like my mom every day and that I still look like a teenager LOL! I was also able to see Hangover Part 2 (which was HILARIOUS by the way) that I was anticipating since I heard that the sequel was indeed happening! All I can say is this...I walked out of the theater in tears from laughing so hard, and Ed Helms who plays Stu is gorgeous...just sayin LOL!

I did mention work, too, and I have soooo much to say about Cox at the moment. I am heading towards being there for 5 months on the 18th, and it has its good days and bad ones. Lately, I've been feeling a lot of heavy burdens since they've changed a great deal of things. Not only are we responsible for troubleshooting, but now they want us to sell products that customers may not have AND try to fix everything in a timely manner. Most of what we have to fix takes a very long time to repair, and if we don't get it right the first time, we don't have a choice but to send technicians out. It makes it hard because we can only do so much to help people and things, and it creates a great deal of pressure. It's almost as if they don't want to see people succeed doing a great job as they are now! Adding on these extra "perks" also means that ranks are jeopardized in a sense of getting better schedules or even getting a promotion within the company. As my mom told me when I had a conversation with her about the recent changes, "You can only do so much, and you just go in there and do what you're supposed to do." Ever since I permanently moved onto the floor, I have been volunteering for overtime nonstop and going the extra mile for my customers, but do you think any of us who do that gets ANY credit at all? I know companies have to make adjustments and things to keep running, but I feel that since they changed a lot of things around, we're taking the bulk of the problems and they won't accept where they're wrong. I hate to vent about work, but just imagine being as stressed out as I am on top of trying to get all of the graduate school things together. It's a nightmare you can't seem to get away from!

Alright...I think I'm done venting for the time being. Starting school again after a year feels really good, and no matter what, I will have a good feeling about going to work, even if they did change all of those things for us. I just do as my mom says and keep my eyes on the prize. Eventually, I will make my way off those phones and into a TV studio somewhere...someday soon and very soon :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment